Monday, February 15, 2010

Alien Thoughts

How many characters do you write that think the same as you? Or, if not the same, very close to it? I know I do it; it's easier. If your character thinks like you do, you don't need to work very hard to make the character act in a real, believable way. I've even been guilty of doing it with different characters in the same story.

Now, how many novels have you read where the different characters are nothing like each other? A lot, I'd wager. I know I've picked up books by the same author where different characters are nearly identical to each other. That, however, isn't a very interesting book when that happens.

So, today, and the rest of this week, I challenge you. Pick the most alien, bizarre, screwed up personality that you can, and write that. Try a new one each day. It's the perfect excuse to pull out the futuristic AI robot, or an alien king on a far away world.

0 comments:

Post a Comment