Friday, February 19, 2010

What Do You Need?

What do you need to write?

I know, there's the obvious. We need something to write with: pen, paper, pencil, computer, some even prefer a voice recorder to transcribe later.

But, what else do you need? For example, I just need my laptop and an open document. I'm really not even picky about what sort of document is open (though I do prefer software that features word-wrapping). I can be anywhere, there can be anything going on around me. It really doesn't matter. Just a keyboard and an idea, and I'm typing away.

Some people have to be in their writing corner. They go there, shut out the rest of the world, and write away. Some have an entire ritual that must happen before they can write a word. Some have special tools they need, some a tasty snack.

So, tell us. What allows you to be successful? What do you need to write?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Long-hand: I need a 9x6 spiral notebook. I've used the same brand of notebook for 4 years (16 identical notebooks). But I bet I could use a different one. If I really tried. I can quit whenever I want to. ;)

On computer: Most of the time I can't watch the screen. Otherwise I'll hate what I've written before I've even written it. So I look at the ceiling a lot of times. My partner thinks I'm nuts.

Megan Justice said...

You, Margaret, I think are among the majority in your specific needs in that you have them. I don't think looking up at the ceiling is nuts. There's a story in the ceiling somewhere...

Post a Comment